Eagle Watch Tour with a Photography Emphasis
December 17, 2022 @ 8:00 am - 9:30 am| $7.50 – $15
Join wildlife photographer Tim Johnson on our pontoon boat as we cruise beautiful Beaver Lake to photograph bald eagles and other wildlife. We will learn about the photography equipment needed, the settings on your camera to get sharp photos of birds in flight, and other locations to photograph eagles in NW Arkansas. Participants should bring a DSLR or mirrorless camera with auto focusing capabilities and at least a 70-200 mm lens. A 150-600 mm lens works the best from the boat given the distances. Photography lecture begins at 7:30 a.m. on the boat. Tours depart Rocky Branch Marina promptly at 8:00 a.m. and are limited to 12 participants.
There will be a regular interpreter on board to talk about eagles, but Tim will be there to talk about our guest’s cameras and how to get the best shots from them. Tim suggests each guest brings the following:
- They will need a DSLR or Mirrorless camera with auto focusing capabilities and at least a 70-200mm lens (suggested)
- A 150-600 mm lens works the best from the boat given the distances.
Participants are to meet at Rocky Branch Recreation Area Marina no later than 2:45 p.m. The cruise departs promptly at 3:00 pm so please allow adequate travel time.
Approximate Travel Time:
from Rogers – 30 min.
from Springdale – 50 min.
from Eureka Springs -50 min.
Directions to Rocky Branch Marina, 8872 Rocky Branch Marina Road, Rogers, AR
- 38 miles 1 hr.
- I-49N to Hwy 412 East
- left on 303 North to Hwy 12
- left to go West until you see 303N. (Note that Hwy 12 splits 303N; so 303N, left on 12W, then a right to get back on 303N.)
- From Hwy 12 and 303 intersections go NORTH (4.2 mi) to Rocky Branch Marina.
From West Rogers:
- 36 miles. I-49, exit #85,
- West Walnut Street (go East)
- left on 2nd St
- right on Locust (Hwy 12). You are 14 miles and 24 minutes away.
- From Hwy 12 and 303 intersections go NORTH (4.2 mi) towards Rocky Branch Marina.
- Once on 303 N, stay to the RIGHT at Coppermine Rd. intersection – stay on Rocky Branch Rd.
- Follow 303 N to “Y” (LaRue Rd./Rocky Branch Rd.) and stay RIGHT on Rocky Branch Rd.
- Drive until dead end at Park Rd. and go LEFT.
- Stay on Park Rd ½ mile to the Army Corps Fee Booth.
- Tell person at fee booth that you are going on a Hobbs eagle tour – you will not be charged an entry fee!
Note new parking area that is convenient to the Hobbs boat: Turn right at first road past fee booth and go towards Rocky Branch Marina. Use the first parking area you come to on the right (white gravel road) and wait there. A park staff member or volunteer will meet you and direct you to the boat.
Total Trip from Hwy. 12 is 4.2 miles.
Life jackets are provided and must be worn at all times. Please dress for weather conditions.
Snacks, water and small personal coolers are allowed on the tour boat.
Alcohol, Smoking, and Pets are not allowed on the tour boat.
You will be notified if it becomes necessary to cancel your cruise.
Refunds: The tickets for the cruise are transferable, but not refundable unless we cancel the cruise for safety reasons (weather) or lack of participation. If after you make reservations you cannot attend, call 48 hours in advance of the cruise. We will do our best to reschedule you. If a participant cannot attend a tour due to an emergency, a uniform staff member can approve a refund.